About the Society
Information about The Candler County Historical Society
In 1980 Jeannette W. Peterson and Virginia B. Snell saw the need for an organization to record and preserve the county’s history. An organizational meeting was held October 15, 1981. Jeannette W. Peterson was the organizing President with 71 charter members.
Since our inception, we have worked to record and preserve the history of Candler County, Georgia. In addition to the notable accomplishments below, we continue to work toward our mission.
- On March 15th, 1988, three streets in downtown Metter- South Kennedy, South Lewis and South Roundtree Streets- were listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Restoration of the Old Depot was started in 1988 and completed in 1995.
- ‘The History of Metter and Candler County, Georgia’ was published by the society in 1994. It is available for purchase HERE.
- ‘Cemeteries of Candler County, Georgia’ was published by the society in 2003. It is available for purchase HERE.
- In January of 2003, The Society obtained the two story Old Metter High School building. Currently in the process of restoration with an emphasis on retaining the school’s character, the building is home to our History Museum & Arts Center.
- ‘Candler County Cooking’ was published by the society in 2005, combining two historical cookbooks of Candler County, originally published in 1950 and 1962, into one volume. It is available for purchase HERE.
- In August 2014, a Centennial Flower Show was held.
- In 2015, The History Museum became a Member of Georgia Association of Museum and Galleries.
- Display cabinets were acquired and installed in the museum, and we are in the process of organizing artifacts on display.
- Artifacts are cataloged, appraised and photographed before being placed on display. Artifacts are accepted by donation or on loan.
Preservation Projects Include:
- An early project was surveying of all structures 50 years old or older in the County
- Old local area newspapers have been microfilmed
- Video filming of area history prepared and presented by various local citizens is an ongoing project; completed portions are available to the public.
The above items may be found in the Daniell Room at the Anderson Memorial Library
Current Objectives & Activities:
- Obtain Grants to fund the following improvements to the History Museum & Arts Center:
- Upstairs HVAC System
- Lift/Elevator to ensure Handicap access Upstairs
- Adopt all upstairs windows and install plaques at each with Donor’s name
- Geneology library and workspace with internet access for use by the public
- Organize Art/Community, begin teaching classes and holding workshops year-round
- Engage local artist to teach classes at the museum including painting, drawing, quilting, knitting, etc.
- Develop a County Historical self-guided driving tour with a map and brochure of sites
Support our Mission by Becoming a Member
Individual Annual Membership is $30.00
Family Annual Membership is $50.00
Corporate Annual Membership is $100.00
Get In Touch
We look forward to hearing from you! Please be sure to include your contact information if your message should require a response. Thank you!
245 West Vertia Street
Metter, GA 30439
& by Appointment
PO Box 325
Metter, GA 30439